HemHem  Vanliga frågorVanliga frågor  SökSök  Bli medlemBli medlem  MedlemslistaMedlemslista  AnvändargrupperAnvändargrupper  Logga in  
Dela | 

Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop

Gå ner 
FörfattareMeddelande
Hole Shot Pop
Skogenracing Small

Antal inlägg : 5
Namn : Mark
Från : UK
Kör : 1955 Ford Pop
Registration date : 10-09-23

InläggRubrik: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   mån 27 sep 2010, 15:24

Hi guys. I've lurked on your forum for a while, trying to take in as much information as possible, but now I have my own turbo project for the winter. My 1955 ford pop already has a 2l pinto with some minor mods to get it to around 140bhp. I've raced it a couple of times this year and loved it! I want it to be much faster for next year, so have been collecting parts for the turbo conversion. I've managed to pick up a Holset HX35, which I'm excited about, but I also have some questions because turbos and fuel injection is all new to me. I'm hoping to get in the region of 300bhp, that would be great.
I'm planning to start fabrication on the exhaust manifold this week, so I'll share some pics if there is any interest. Before I pick up any tools I've got a few things that I would like to understand before making a mistake.

1. Boost control? Will a manifold-mounted external wastegate control the boost well enough? What is the effect of using a 38mm or 60mm? Can anyone recommend a wastegate for me? My worry was that if I don't size it correctly it may overboost.
Also, on the intake side, I don't want to have a dump valve "whooosh" noise, so I would welcome suggestions for a bypass valve. Perhaps there's an OEM part I could use from a car in the scrapyard?

2. Will a standard sierra air flow meter work ok? and will the throttle position sensor work with the megasquirt alright? Or is it beneficial to use an airflow meter from a larger capacity engine?

3. Am I right in thinking that some Bosch 803 green injectors would be suitable for my needs?

Thanks very much guys

Senast ändrad av Hole Shot Pop den tor 02 dec 2010, 16:33, ändrad totalt 1 gång
Till överst på sidan Gå ner
Användarens profil
Mikael
Skogencrew

Antal inlägg : 15246
Namn : Mikael
Från : Gävle
Kör : Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Skidoo summit tjejskoter
Registration date : 06-10-11

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   sön 03 okt 2010, 22:01

Hole Shot Pop skrev:
Hi guys. I've lurked on your forum for a while, trying to take in as much information as possible, but now I have my own turbo project for the winter. My 1955 ford pop already has a 2l pinto with some minor mods to get it to around 140bhp. I've raced it a couple of times this year and loved it! I want it to be much faster for next year, so have been collecting parts for the turbo conversion. I've managed to pick up a Holset HX35, which I'm excited about, but I also have some questions because turbos and fuel injection is all new to me. I'm hoping to get in the region of 300bhp, that would be great.
I'm planning to start fabrication on the exhaust manifold this week, so I'll share some pics if there is any interest. Before I pick up any tools I've got a few things that I would like to understand before making a mistake.

1. Boost control? Will a manifold-mounted external wastegate control the boost well enough? What is the effect of using a 38mm or 60mm? Can anyone recommend a wastegate for me? My worry was that if I don't size it correctly it may overboost.
Also, on the intake side, I don't want to have a dump valve "whooosh" noise, so I would welcome suggestions for a bypass valve. Perhaps there's an OEM part I could use from a car in the scrapyard?

2. Will a standard sierra air flow meter work ok? and will the throttle position sensor work with the megasquirt alright? Or is it beneficial to use an airflow meter from a larger capacity engine?

3. Am I right in thinking that some Bosch 803 green injectors would be suitable for my needs?

Thanks very much guys
Mark

https://2img.net/h/i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/HoleShotPop/Hot%20Rod%20Gasser/344c97cb616524d.jpg

1. A external wastegate will work fine, we often use the copy of HKS 50mm wastegate thats works fine. The bigger the better but no need to exaggerate.

2. Standard air flow meter will nott be necessary with megasquirt. If you want to use stock injectionsystem you will need the air flow meter but mount it on the suction side on the turbo. I strongly suggest you skip stock and find a Megasquirt or similar to get the power you want. The standard TPS will work fine!

3. That sounds like cosworth injectors? They are low ohm and will not work well. If you want to try megasquirt i have a map that will work with 630cc injetors on a pinto with Hx35 turbo

Hole Shot Pop
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   mån 04 okt 2010, 11:37

Thanks very much. I am planning to use a megasquirt, or possibly an omex ecu, but the omex seems more expensive. I have also made enquiries about a microsquirt. Does anyone have any experience with those? So you're saying that the ecu can control things from the various sensors, but with no air flow meter? Will it be better to use a larger bore throttle body to flow more air? I'll take your advice on the injectors, and I would be very grateful for the map for that setup, thankyou. I will begin inlet fabrication soon, but my plan to keep the costs down slightly was to begin with a standard injection manifold, cut it off after the injectors bosses and put my own runners and plenum chamber to suit my engine bay. I'm guessing the 630's will be a different fitment though?

Användarens profil
Mikael
Skogencrew

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   tis 05 okt 2010, 19:22

Standard throttlebody works fine, but a bigger will get you a faster reving engine.

Aftermarket systems use a Map sensor to measure the need for fuel

The 630cc injectors fit on the same place as stock injectors so no need to modifie that

Hole Shot Pop
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   ons 06 okt 2010, 01:03

Thanks very much. I will post some photos as it progresses
Användarens profil
Kriss Poland
Skogenracing Small

Antal inlägg : 35
Namn : Krzysiek
Från : Poland
Kör : Ford Sierra
Registration date : 08-12-09

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   lör 11 dec 2010, 10:07

Mikael skrev:

If you want to try megasquirt i have a map that will work with 630cc injetors on a pinto with Hx35 turbo

Will it work with the Megasquirt 2?
Användarens profil
Mikael
Skogencrew

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto, HX35, 1955 Ford Pop   lör 11 dec 2010, 16:52

Don´t know, probably not